Sunday, April 17, 2022

The Faster I Go, the Behinder I Get



The more you let yourself be distracted from where you are going, the more you are the person that you are. It's not so much like getting lost as it is like getting found.
— William Stafford

Don't get sidetracked. If you do get sidetracked, get back on track as soon as possible. Ultimately sidetracking kills you.
— Donald J. Trump

The major problem of life is learning how to handle the costly interruptions. The door that slams shut, the plan that got sidetracked, the marriage that failed. Or that lovely poem that didn't get written because someone knocked on the door.
— Martin Luther King Jr.

Ah, yes. Getting sidetracked. Well, I didn’t so much get side tracked last week, as I went off the rails completely to make something other than writing my priority. Namely, embellishing a dress for my granddaughter with embroidery. So it’s going to be a sad and pathetic wordage report today.

The daughter gave me the dress for the granddaughter earlier in the year, with the request that I spiff it up with some embroidery. It was a rather old fashioned style, made out of a thin, unbleached cotton, so the thought was to do some old fashioned style embroidery.

It took me forever to settle on a design because embroidery is like a tattoo – once it’s on there, it’s there to stay. Oh, sure, there are ways to remove it, but the canvass is never the same again.

I’ll save the details of what I went through for the dress for tomorrow’s post on the other blog, but suffice it to say I had several late nights and pretty much everything fell to the wayside. I had a goal, and it had nothing to do with writing, I needed to get the dress done by Easter.

I achieved my goal, the dress was finished yesterday, and despite the fact that I’ve received no feedback regarding it, I’m very proud of what I did. And the fact that it was done on time was a minor miracle itself.

Now I get to play the catching up game. I fell behind on my three-minute words, which means I’ve also fallen behind on the next installment of The Cave story. I’ve also fallen behind on the PAD challenge, so I have a few poems to write.

But hey, at least I have a new goal for the week, right?

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

WORDAGE REPORT

Not much to see here, I’m afraid. No Monday post again, although I did manage the poetry post for Wednesday and the Friday serial installment, so I guess the week wasn’t a total loss. It helps that I’m eager to get back in the saddle again. And next week’s report should be awesome because it’ll include the catching up words. :-)

NEW WORDS:
Blog Posts – 1311+404+903=2,618

Poetry
0
Total words: 3,257 words

Three minute words – 90+102+112+124=428

Goals For Next Week:
Catch up on the words I missed last week, and forage ahead on this week’s words.

EDITING:
Seriously? I didn’t even take a break from sewing long enough to write a poem, editing was out of the question.

Goal For Next Week:
Get back to work on Magickal Mayhem.

MARKETING MONDAY:
*insert maniacal laugher here*.

Still no word on anything I’ve sent out previously – the wheels of publishing work very slowly.

Goal For Next Week:
Submit two flash stories and one poem.

TECHNO TUESDAY:
No. Just . . . no.

Goal For Next Week:
Set up Paperwhite

POETRY WEDNESDAY:
It seemed like a good idea in theory, too bad I haven’t been sticking to it.

Goal For Next Week:
Catch up on the PAD challenge

CRAFTING:
Well, at least something went right. I got the granddaughter’s dress done. But for all that time and effort, I’m thinking the designs I went with weren’t exactly what the daughter had in mind. But it is what it is, and I’m happy with how it turned out.

Goal For Next Week:
Find something else to embroider.

WHAT I’M READING:
Well, a sewing blitz is one way to cut back on the reading. I finished Island of Glass, by Nora Roberts, and took the entire week to read Blood Brothers, also by Nora Roberts. I was also asked to beta-read a novella for a friend. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to talk about it or not yet, but you can be sure I’ll be letting you know when it’s available to buy – it was brilliantly funny (as all his work is).

I did receive all those books I ordered the previous week, and they’re all stacked up on the dining room table. I wasn’t even tempted to crack any of them open – reading was only for the breaks in the sewing.

Goal For Next Week:
Keep the reading under control

GOAL REVIEW:
The only real win last week was getting my blog posts up and finishing the granddaughter’s dress. The rest . . . not so much

I kept up with the three-minute words long enough to get the week’s serial installment done, but that was pretty much it. However, I do have an idea of what’s going to happen next.

The poetry . . . yeah. By the beginning of the week I’d pretty much given up on the poetry. Sometimes a poem will come quickly, most of the time they do not.

Barring any disasters, I have no where to go but up, right?

Happy writing.

No comments: