Wednesday, April 20, 2022

PAD Challenge Two



I’m still a few poems behind, but I’m catching up. And I have to say, I’m not enjoying this as much as I thought I would be. Part of it is the prompts – they kind of suck. So, naturally my poems mostly reflect this. My vision of having thirty awesome poems at the end of the month is slowly fading away. Anyway, I have a couple that I’m not too embarrassed to share.

10. Write a taste poem

Choices

I stand before the menu board
so many choices
how can one decide?
Something different for a change . . .
there’s London Fog, sweet vanilla cream
with a hint of bergamot
or maybe a creamy, smooth Macha Latte.
Emperor’s Clouds and Mist offer
a gentle, smoky, earthy flavour,
while Peach Tranquility appeals
with its fruity goodness.
The mint and lemon of Lemon Majesty
would be a refreshing change,
as would the Honey Citrus Mint
with a touch of honey.
So many options,
so much to choose from.
I sigh, resigned,
and order my usual
a creamy, spicy, Chai Latte.
Why mess with success?


11. Write a power poem

I watch
safe behind the glass
hidden behind
the houseplants on the sill.
The yard is alive
with activity,
the birds facing off
with the squirrels
for the pleasure of
emptying the feeder.
Back and forth,
a swing and a miss,
chittering squirrels,
squawking birds,
but wait!
The chipmunk sneaks through
the line of defense,
up the shepherd’s crook
to the feeder
reaching the goal.
Power play!


12. Write a counting poem and/or a not counting poem

I’m counting on
warm summer breezes
the trees greening up
the garden emerging
soft summer nights.

I am not counting on
the endless grey
dismal rainy days
the cold creeping back
and wet snow on the deck.


14. Write a scary poem

The scudding leaves lead the way
the wind is chill, a hint of spray
from darkened clouds laying low,
truly ‘tis a night of woe.

The moon above’s no longer bright
as red begins to dim its light
and footsteps echo in the dark
while shadows dance and leave a spark.

I slow my pace as I draw near
the dark and ancient stone menhir
where waits the coven for the rite
to bring to all eternal night.

The bones are cast into the fire,
spirits shriek as flames leap higher,
hands are joined and words are said
to fill the mortal world with dread.

Dark spirits mass to watch and wail
and wait their turn to cross the veil;
the mortal world is ours this night
you cannot hide, you cannot fight.

Dark desires rule here now
it does not matter what you vow
you cannot stop what is to come
your only choice is to succumb.

No comments: