Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Time In a Bottle



Wouldn’t it be great if we could save time in a bottle, like the song says?

Actually, this song came out just after Jim lost his life in a plane crash. How ironic is that? And the sad part is, it was written for his wife just after they found out she was pregnant.

But imagine if we could save time in a bottle. No more time wasted waiting in line, or waiting for a ride, or waiting in a doctor’s office. Instead, you could just save that time to be used later when you need five more minutes to finish something, or just a half an hour of peace and quiet to save your sanity.

One of my guilty pleasures on Sunday mornings is to watch Top Chef Canada. For those of you who don’t indulge, this is a show that pits amateur chefs against each other for a modest cash prize and bragging rights. They may be home cooks, but they sure know their stuff! I’m more of a throw-things-in-a-pot-and-see-if-it-works chef myself. But I can’t help thinking that if some of these chefs had just a few more minutes . . .

Last week, and especially on the weekend, I found myself with a lot of extra minutes. There weren’t enough to actually do anything with them, but it was enough I felt like it was wasted time. It would have been great to be able to save all those five minutes here, ten minutes there, and then put them all together for a nice little chunk of freed up time.

Yup, Jim Croce had the right idea.

Prompts of the Week

You might have noticed that I did nothing with either prompt last week. Part of it was lack of energy, part of it was lack of time. I really wanted to do something steampunkish with the prompt from The Story Shack (even before I saw the booth with the steampunk hats at Fan Expo in Toronto) but the weekend kind of got away from me.

So let’s change things up and try a different prompt generator this week.

I checked out one called RanGen, which gave me these three words:
Grace, Confusion and Brilliance.

They have all kinds of cool stuff here, including generators for creating characters or world building. A writer could have a lot of fun do a lot of procrastinating find some useful resources here. But I’ll stick to my writing prompt for now.

No comments: