Saturday, August 17, 2019

Moving Out

I had an idea for the prompt from the Story Shack first, but there was no way I could stretch it to make 600 words. So I went with the one from The Plot Generator instead:

Your main character –name – Elizabeth Chan
An adjective to describe him or her - adorable
Somebody who might try to help your main character – Sarah Gloop
His or her relationship to the main character - sister
Jobs – doctor, gardener, fishmonger
An object - book
An adjective that could describe an object - crumpled
A number between 2 and 400 - 3
A location - Devon
Three more adjectives – feathery, backward, worrying
Three animals, singular – frog, fox, badger
Something a ghost might appear when photographed – skeletal
Two body parts, plural – fingers, legs
A type of accident – dancing
An adjective that could be used to describe a place – noisy

This time I’m just going to bold the words I included – I don’t know about you, but I found the changing colour really annoying. :-D



“I thought Devon was in England,” Sarah Gloop said to her sister.

“You’re thinking of Devonshire,” Elizabeth replied, then frowned. “At least I think you are. At any rate, this Devon is in Alberta.”

“I still don’t know why you and Henry have to move there,” Sarah grumbled, an adorable frown on her face.

“They need a new doctor,” Elizabeth told her patiently, trying to fit the book she was holding into the box of crumpled paper. “There. Seven down, three to go.”

“You should have married Larry the fishmonger. At least then you’d be Elizabeth Smith.”

“Sarah! I thought you liked Henry!”

“I do, it’s just . . . he’s like one of those dancing figures we put up at Halloween, all long fingers and clacking legs – he’s positively skeletal. It’s as though one of these days he’ll just fly apart.”

“What utter nonsense! And there’s nothing wrong with my name. Elizabeth Chan is perfectly respectable.”

Sarah blew out a noisy breath, blowing the feathery bangs out of her face. “Oh, don’t mind me,” she said apologetically. “I think I’m just a little jealous. You’ve found your true love and the closest I’ve come is that fling with the gardener last year.”

“You’re forgiven, of course,” Elizabeth told her. “Now help me take these boxes out to the truck.”

Sarah’s attitude was worrying, but Elizabeth was sure it was something they’d be able to overcome in the future. After all, it only took one bite from Henry to convince her. Closing the door behind her, she left her old life behind without so much as a backward glance, and hurried towards her future.

No comments: