Monday, September 3, 2018

Now THIS Is Progress!



Words from sprints:
Wandering Wizards – 1,071
Magic II -1,457

Untimed words added:
Wandering Wizards – 441
Magic II - 3,348

Total New words:
Wandering Wizards – 1,512
Magic II – 4,805

Editing:
Wandering Wizards - 8:53 hours
Magic II - 0:40 hours

For anyone who’s interested, the word counts go from Sunday through Saturday. Since I’ve been trying to at least do a 30 minute word sprint once a day, I’m keeping track of the daily numbers for them as well as which WIP I wrote them for. The extra words are from untimed writing sessions as well as words added during editing. Magic II got a big boost last Sunday when I sat down and wrote a 2,000 word scene, and then I had another untimed session during my writer’s group on Thursday night.

If you’re doing some mental math (and more power to you if you are) and trying to figure out how the progress bar for Wandering Wizards can jump from 6% to 23% when I only added 1,500 new words, I might remind you that I mentioned last week I was trying to use as much of the old version as possible along with the new words.

Man, oh, man, what have I gotten myself into? I think I've added two or three chapters worth of new words to WW, and I think it makes for a better book, but integrating the old and the new is taking some creative editing. God bless the person who invented the computer and cut and paste!

This week I want to kick up the pace editing WW – the total editing hours looks good, but not so great when you spread it out over seven days. Less gaming, more editing at night. And I’d like to see if I can add in a couple of extra word sprints through the week.

Gotta keep those progress bars moving!

No comments: