Sunday, January 15, 2023

Rainy Days and Mondays



You can't escape the thoughts on a rainy day: In the spirit of the gloom there is a talisman that keeps people from having fun and invites them to the world of thoughts!
― Mehmet Murat ildan

People who have never dealt with depression think it's just being sad or being in a bad mood. That's not what depression is for me; it's falling into a state of grayness and numbness.
— Dan Reynolds

It is very hard to explain to people who have never known serious depression or anxiety the sheer continuous intensity of it. There is no off switch.
— Matt Haig

Studies have shown that high humidity lowers concentration and increases sleepiness, and I can verify that because not only was last week super grey, it was damp as well. Sunlight also has an impact on our energy. Long, bright days can energize you. But short or cloudy days have less light to encourage you to stay awake, so you may feel sleepier than usual.

Atmospheric pressure changes with dark, rainy days, and can affect the body’s pain levels by causing pressure in the nerves and joints. Anyone who has arthritis will tell you it’s more painful on damp days. This higher pain level can lead to a lack of motivation and energy, contributing to symptoms of depression. Changes in barometric pressure can also trigger or worsen migraines.

According to one study, nearly nine percent of people feel angrier and less happy on rainy days. Another study found that there were more negative posts published on Facebook during rainy weather. In areas where it rains a lot, especially if heavy rainfall is not usual, the more it rains the more aggressive people can get.

This is due mainly to the dip in serotonin levels brought on by the lack of sunshine. This lack also contributes to cravings for comfort foods and carbohydrates because they give your serotonin a boost. But in the long run, giving in to these food cravings is only a temporary solution to combat depression.

Our brains have complex responses to the length of the day. The human circadian rhythm is geared so that we wake when it gets light in the morning. We eat, and are more active during the day. When the sun goes down your brain receives the message that it’s time to rest. We eat less and slow down.

Cold weather gives your body the signal to slow down, to “hibernate,” which results in less energy during the winter months. But ironically, although warmer temperatures can boost your mood, it only works up to about 70F (21C). After that your energy can start to ebb again. You might start feeling tired and have the urge to escape the heat.

SAD (seasonal affective disorder) does not just happen in the darker months of winter, some people also experience it in spring and summer as well. There is also a link between aggression and higher temperatures. Conflicts can rise, as well as violence.

There’s not much we can do to combat the weather, but instead of hiding away during the dark, dismal days, turn on the lights. Studies show that light can raise your serotonin, which will lift your mood. And even if it’s cold and rainy, take a walk outside. Even the smallest exposure to UV rays can help regulate your circadian rhythm and boost your mood.

You might also try light therapy, where you’re expose to a light (on a daily basis) that mimics natural light. Or perhaps it would help to talk to a therapist, or undergo cognitive therapy. And in severe cases, your health care giver may recommend an antidepressant.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

WORDAGE REPORT

Still no sign of the sun last week. Even people who aren’t usually affected by the weather were starting to feel it. Someone said it has been more than a month without sun. Friday surprised us with a snow storm – still a grey day, but at least it wasn’t rain. And somehow the greyness is easier to take when it’s due to snow.

But the damp weather we’ve been having has had one disturbing side effect. My hands have been getting progressively more painful. The joints of my fingers are stiff and a little swollen. Kind of makes it hard to type. Or use a pencil and paper. Or pretty much anything that requires using my hands.

We did have a full day of sun yesterday, but I guess the humidity was still high because my hands were only slightly better. I can only hope the weather, and my dexterity, improves for the coming week.

NEW WORDS:
1535+480+394+541=2950
UP – 292 words from last week

Goals For Next Week:
Try to get my blog posts done earlier in the week.

EDITING:
0 pages
I opened up An Elemental Spirit, and discovered it’s not as bad as I thought it was. It’s still going to take some heavy editing, and the beginning needs some serious re-writing, but it’s something that I can work with.

Goal For Next Week:
Start work on An Elemental Spirit.

MARKETING:
I fully intended to do the book promotion and get it sent in by the weekend – I had until the 15th to submit it. However, it was rather lengthy and included the opportunity to share up to three author links. I don’t have three links. So I deferred it for 6 months and in the meantime I’ll get my author’s page on Amazon made, and update my book page on this blog.

Goal For Next Week:
Set up author page on Amazon; update book page on blog

TECH & TRAINING:
I got nothing to report here.

Goal For Next Week:
Install software for inkjet so I can print to the colour printer.

POETRY WEDNESDAY:
I found an interesting new form to share and even had the post up on time. Unfortunately, I have made no inroads on my poemwork. I really need to get on that – time’s running out.

Goal For Next Week:
Share a new poetry form; work on my poemwork.

CRAFTING:
No progress on my craft room, but I binge-watched The Witcher prequel mini-series on Netflix last Sunday, and got several rows done on the afghan. And I got a couple more done at the stitchery meeting this past Tuesday. Only one more colour and I’m at the halfway mark.

Goal For Next Week:
Work on the afghan – the person it’s for has a birthday coming up.

WHAT I’M READING:
I had a really bad day on Wednesday, so I took comfort in Undercurrents, by Nora Roberts, followed by The Obsession. I did not include them in my Goodreads update because I’ve read them several time before so I figure they don’t really count

Goal For Next Week:
Continue making a little time to read every day.

GOAL REVIEW:

I may not have got any extra words yet, but I did get all my blog posts done. And they were all up on time. AND I didn’t have any super late nights to produce them.

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened up An Elemental Spirit. It wasn’t in quite as bad shape as I thought it was. It needs a new beginning, and because it was a NaNo novel it needs a lot of padding removed and more thoughtful, relevant detail added.

I was a little disappointed that I didn’t get the marketing form filled out. Nor did I make the time to check out the links they included. Part of the problem is, you need to recommend 5 books that are similar in theme/topic to a book you’ve written. Frankly, I try not to write a book that’s similar to anyone else’s, so that was a little hard for me. Anyway, they said I could put it off for 6 months, so that’s what I’m going to do.

I really need to get my act together and start working on one of the many courses I’ve paid for but never accessed. And I need to start figuring out the technical gadgets I have lying around. So much to learn, so little motivation to do so. *sigh*

I have to admit, the poetry form last week was a pretty easy one. And I’m running out of those, so I’m not going to get off that easy this week. Which means I’d better start it earlier.

Although I made some good progress on my afghan, I’m kind of at a stand still for the craft migration – I need a table and a couple of bins. And despite the stack of new books, when I’m feeling crappy I need some comfort reading.

At least it’s better than comfort eating.

No comments: