Sunday, September 20, 2020

This ‘N That



It’s late Saturday afternoon as I type this. I’ve been sitting here for the last half hour, staring at the half blank screen (the other half is filled with the actual wordage report) and I feel like I have nothing to say. We had a lot of grey/overcast weather this week which always drains my energy/brain power. But it was offset by the fact it’s turned cool enough for a jacket in the early morning, which I actually enjoy. Fall is my favourite time of year – the sun is still (mostly) shining, but the temperature is bearable.

Anyway, I still don’t feel like I have much to say. When I haven’t been writing I’ve mostly been reading. Nora Roberts has temporarily been replaced by Charles de Lint but you don’t want to read his books too fast or you might miss something so I’m not zipping along like I was.

Blogger pretty much forced me to start using their new version for my posts last week, but they made a couple of changes since the last time and while I’m still not enthusiastic about it, neither do I hate it like I did before. At least I can do what I need to on it.

Facebook, however . . . they keep forcing their new format on me and I keep opting for the old version for 48 hours, but to do that they want to know why I don’t want to embrace the new one so I tell them. In all caps. I know we’ll all be forced to use it eventually, but I’ll whine about it to the bitter end.

In other news . . . we’ve decided to redo the kitchen and the rec room. At the same time. So far the hubby has ripped up the carpet from the rec room and is arranging to have all the garbage/old furniture taken away. And we’ve met with a designer at Home Depot who is unable to use a shoehorn to give us more space in the kitchen, but he did have some good ideas of what/where the new cupboards will work.

It should make for some interesting times ahead, especially since the bulk of the work in the kitchen is slated for November. You know, during NaNo. God help us all.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Wordage Report

Editing – 0 hours, 0 pages
I accidentally exited the file without saving the changes I’d made, so I have no clue how much I did. Forgot to time myself too.

Research – 4.15 hours

Blood Ties – 2,712 words
Woot!

Blog Posts – includes the post for my regular blog, but not the prompt story.
450 (regular blog)+ 1,096 + 400 = 1,946 words total

Weekly Prompt – 514 words

Total Words – 5,172

New Prompt
Use this as your first line: He looked at his phone, turned pale, then quickly left the room. She watched him, smiling.

Goals From Last Week:
I set myself a goal last week that (starting Monday) I’d write a minimum of 500 words a day on Blood Ties. I didn’t add any words yesterday because I was busy doing other stuff, but I reached my goal the rest of the week. Which means, my friends, I’m over 2500 words closer to the end!

Once again I waited until Thursday to work on my prompt story and to be quite honest, I don’t know what I think about the story itself. It met all of the requirements from the prompt, other than being over by around 150 words, but it’s a weird little slice of life, even for me.

Man oh man I’m going to have to get my editing rear in gear if I’m going to get my book flood anthology done in time for Christmas and my two books edited by the end of the year. Especially if I’m doing NaNo this year. I hate to mess up my NaNo winning streak, but I didn’t like the changes they made to the website last year and I haven’t been back since so I don’t know what else they’ve done to it. Maybe I’ll do an editing version of NaNo on my own.

Most of the research I did last week was on stuff for the new non-fiction series I’ll be starting this week. It’s a toss-up between two different subjects, both of which I’ll be doing, I just can’t decide which one to do first. Guess you’ll have to come back Wednesday to see which one wins.

Goals For This Week:
1. Blood Ties, Blood Ties, Blood Ties! I’m on the verge of rescuing Howard – Jessica just has to implement her devious plan of action – and then there’s just the goodbyes and we’re done. I had a really good week words-wise last week (knock on wood), let’s see if I can make this one even better.
2. New prompt story. I wanted to get away from The Story Shack so I’m trying one from Writing Exercises and Prompts.
3. I think I might skip the editing this week because it’s time consuming and I want to focus on Blood Ties. Also, I just plain keep forgetting about editing.
4. Same goes for the research this week. I mean, I’ll probably have to do some anyway, but I’m not going to make it a priority.

And there’s what I’ll be up to this week. How about you?

No comments: