Sunday, September 27, 2020

The End Is Nigh!



That’s right folks, the end of Blood Ties is close at hand. It seems like the closer I get, the faster I write. I put on a burst of words of NaNo proportions this week and all that’s left is the smack down between Jessica and Anakaron, and the denouement.

Well, and the editing of course, but I’m actually looking forward to that. To start the editing process I’ll probably re-read the other two, just to get the same feel. After all, it’s been four years since the last Jessica book and I think in this one I’ve kind of got away from the essence of her personality.

The words for last week are kind of a bittersweet victory. In order to accomplish it I kind of let a couple of other things slide. I cheated on my Wednesday post and I skipped Friday altogether. I did take a look at my prompt, but I was on a roll with Blood Ties and I didn’t think taking time out for the prompt was in anyone’s best interest.

It seems like forever ago that I started this series. Magical Misfire was published in 2013 and I probably started it at least a couple of years before that. It started out as a serial on one of my blogs (now defunct), and let me tell you, if you need a way to force yourself to write, that’s the way to do it. Nothing like a weekly deadline to get the creative juices going.

Jessica’s come a long way since I first thought her up while I was in highschool, and she’s been through more perils than Pauline. I’m almost going to be sad to see her go.

The basement is coming along nicely, but that really had little to do with me, other than helping to pick out the new flooring. The old furniture has been carted away and the new flooring has been laid. All that’s left it to re-furnish it and enjoy.

I made a couple of forays out in to the big scary world last week. I actually walked down to the waterfront to meet up with an old friend where we sat in the shade and had a nice chat. The following night I was down there again, this time to meet up with my poetry group. Seeing as I had to take a chair with me, I did not walk for that one.

I’m sure we made a curious sight, sitting in a circle in the dark, flashlights going on and off as we took turns reading. All that was missing was a camp fire and s’mores.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Wordage Report

Editing – 0 hours, 0 pages
This might be a whole different story in the week to come

Research – 2.20 hours

Blood Ties – 7,356 words!
Woot!

Blog Posts – includes the post for my regular blog, but not the prompt story.
590 (regular blog)+ 906 + 583 = 2,079 words total

Weekly Prompt – 0 words

Total Words – 9,435

New Prompt
Use this as your first line: He looked at his phone, turned pale, then quickly left the room. She watched him, smiling.

Goals From Last Week:
Blood Ties is almost at 100,000 words! Can you believe it? That light at the end of the tunnel keeps shining brighter and brighter. Now that Jessica is actually inside the mountain, having failed in her attempt to rescue Howard, she’s going to face the big, bad dark lord. And even if she wins, will that be enough? Only the author knows for sure. Mwahahahaha

I looked at this week’s prompt, seriously I did, but it didn’t really do anything for me and I didn’t want to take the time away from Blood Ties to look for something else.

No editing this week, and no guilt over it either. Maybe I’ll have myself an editing NaNo this year. I can track changes and put all the new words I add to stuff into a separate document to use as my NaNo novel. LOL

So . . . I was actually planning on doing my Wednesday post, but when I looked at my research for the new series I was going to start I got cold feet – there was a lot of information I need to distil and I just didn’t want to take the time away from Blood Ties to do it. So then I did some research on a different topic, thinking it would be easier, but it turned out there wasn’t as much out there as I thought there’d be for it so I just plain gave up.

Goals For This Week:
1. Blood Ties, Blood Ties, Blood Ties! Jessica is about to have her big smack down with Anakaron, but that’s not necessarily the end. There’ll be some serious fall-out to deal with that I’m hoping will give the ending a bit of a twist.
2. New prompt story will depend on how it goes with Blood Ties. And I’ll probably be picking a new prompt, too.
3. Despite the fact the editing is piling up, it too will depend on my progress with Blood Ties. Maybe I should put my editing pile on the front of my desk instead of on the bookcase behind it.

And there’s what I’ll be up to this week. How about you?

No comments: