Sunday, July 5, 2020

The Post That Almost Wasn’t



If you caught my prompt story on Friday, consider yourself lucky. And I’m not just talking about the length of time it took for me to write that story. When I went to post the story I found the composition window of my blogging platform had changed. I had no clue what was going on, but it was a miracle I managed to get the story up there. And you might also have noticed that the image that went with it was not centered either. That was a whole other issue.

Naturally, at first I thought it was Blogger’s fault. After all, I’d already had Facebook pull a fast one on me by changing their format earlier this week. Fortunately, with Facebook I was able to change it back so it looked the way it used. My blog account . . . not so much.

I thought maybe if I signed out and back in again it might reset itself, only when I tried that it wouldn’t take my password and I had to reset it, which messed with the Google accounts on my other devices. I don’t even remember linking them – maybe it did that on its own?

And not only did it mess up my other devices, it didn’t even help. On a whim I checked my other blog and lo and behold, it looked normal. So now I’m thinking I inadvertently did something to the settings at some point. So that’s going to go on my list for the week – figuring out how to get my blogging account back to normal. Or at least to a format that doesn’t give me hives when I try to use it.

So if you check back during the week and see this space in chaos, you’ll know why.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Wordage Report

Editing – just under 2 hours
The story I picked was The Bone Moon. I would have got more done on it but the time I slotted for editing kept getting usurped for other things.

Wandering Wizards – 0 words
*sigh* Maybe this week.

Blog Posts – includes the post for my regular blog, but not the prompt post.
568 + 475 + 298 = 1341 words total

Weekly Prompt – 826 words
I actually cut this story down from over 900 words. I wasn’t quite sure where I was going with it, hence the kind of abrupt ending. However, it also gave me an idea for a kind of cute, romantic short story, so it was worth the effort I put into it.

Total Words – 2167

New Prompt
Write a 550 word story in the fantasy genre. It's about an archivist and should include an onion. Also use the sentence 'I'll deal with you later.' Bonus prompt: There seems to be no one left on the planet.

Goals From Last Week:
Well, I got all my blog posts done and I got my new prompt story written (eventually). I got a start on editing a story but didn’t get it finished, and once again I got zero words added to Wandering Wizards. Still, I’m pretty happy with last week considering there was some babysitting thrown into the mix too.

Goals For This Week:
I proved I could (sort of) do it once, let’s see if I can do it again.
1. New words on Wandering Wizards. For real this time – just pick a spot and start writing.
2. New prompt story – and hopefully it’ll get written in less time than it took to pick out the prompt.
3. Finish setting up my kanban board so the projects are staring me in the face.
4. Finish editing Bone Moon, maybe even pick out another story to edit.

And that’s what I’ll be up to this week. How about you?

2 comments:

Ann Bennett said...

I think I'll start goal setting like you do. I sort of drifted away from writing about two years ago. I still have stories with people that trot around my mind. It is time to get busy. lol, A bit of goal setting may be the trick.

C R Ward said...

Goals are good - they help me stay focused. Good luck with yours!