Sunday, July 19, 2020

An Apple a Day . . .



If someone wants to start a Go Fund Me campaign to create a Windows-like operating system that does not constantly updates and needs to be upgraded every couple of years, I’d be happy to contribute.

There were a couple of updates to Windows this week and one them messed with the settings on my lap top. The first one changed the back light colour of my keyboard – instead of multi-colour it went to straight red. I was able to fix it, but then I noticed my cursor was all over the place. And why was that? Because at some point it enabled my touch pad.

One of the first things I do with a new lap top is disable the touch pad. I find it annoying at the best of times but when I’m typing I find it super annoying. I find it unnatural to type with my hands raised, which you have to do to keep from touching the touch pad and sending the cursor to unexpected places.

I tried the usual ways to disable it with no luck. I even Googled it and they didn’t tell me anything I didn’t already know. And they took away the Paint program, which I found useful, and replaced it with Paint 3D, which I do not. Microsoft, you suck!

It’s just a good thing that I’ve been doing the bulk of my typing on the Neo lately, then uploading to the lap top. Otherwise my productivity would take a serious nosedive this week, and I only just started getting my nose up in the air again.

I might also mention that it changed my snipping tool, which I found handy for making maps for the hubby when he has to drive into Toronto, and it tried to make me switch to Microsoft Edge for my browser. There’s nothing I hate more than being strong armed into something.

When I’m ready for a new lap top, I’ll be taking a serious look at a Mac.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Wordage Report

Editing – 0 hours/pages
To be fair, I did have my editing stuff sitting beside me most of the time, I just didn’t do anything with it.

Wandering Wizards – 1,000 words
Be still my heart!

Blog Posts – includes the post for my regular blog, but not the prompt story.
386 + 787 + 368 = 1,541 words total

Weekly Prompt – 669 words

Total Words – 3,210

New Prompt
One night, some children find a zombie hunter while searching for a doctor.

Goals From Last Week:
My total word counts were higher than they’ve been in a long time, mainly due to the fact I finally got going on Wandering Wizards again. No editing, but did I mention I got some new words done on Wandering Wizards? LOL

I kind of like working with prompts from The Story Shack, the addition of the word count adds a little something to the challenge. Once again I was over by about 20 words, but still, that’s not bad. I think the story worked better with the limit – if I’d kept going I probably would have thrown a Buffy reference in there and that would have pushed it over into cheesy.

No edits, and still no kanban board last week. I actually did get a few stick notes on the kanban board, but stick notes tend to . . . stick out. It kind of bugs me. So I got a dry erase board and a pack of washable markers, thinking that if I go for any kind of board that might work better. But the board I made is black and the dry erase board is white, and the white is really kind of . . . white. This might require a bit more thinking.

Goals For This Week:
1. More words on Wandering Wizards. I’ll keep it at the top of my list and maybe magic things will happen again.
2. New prompt story – different prompt source this week, just to keep it fresh.
3. Decide whether I’m going with the kanban board or the dry erase, or just forget the whole thing.
4. Make time to work on the edits for Visitation Rites.

And there’s what I’ll be up to this week. How about you?

No comments: