Sunday, March 15, 2020

It’s Getting Real Out There



Anybody else starting to see similarities between the COVID-19 pandemic and Stephen King’s The Stand? I’m not just talking about the plot, which began with the spread of a pandemic disease, I’m talking about the whole good versus evil thing. While you get people stepping up and helping their neighbours, especially the at risk elderly ones, you get just as many, if not more, people doing just the opposite with the hoarding and price gouging.

Grocery shopping on Friday was terrifying. I normally go first thing in the morning to avoid the crowds but there was no avoiding the shopping frenzy at either of the stores I frequent. I’ve never seen anything like it – not even during the Christmas rush – and I hope I never see it again.

This week’s poetry reading was cancelled, my tai chi class was cancelled, and I’m pretty sure my stitchery guild meeting will be cancelled next week. Better to be safe than sorry I guess. As for being advised to stay at home and avoid social situations. . . well, that’s something I prefer to do anyway.

The one bright spot is that so far the retreat I’m going to in April is still on. Cross your fingers for me people, I really want to get away to write for a few days.

* ~ * ~ * ~ *

Wordage Report

Good news is, I’ve been making progress. Bad news is, the government is extending the March Break by two weeks so I’m probably not going to get much done over the next few weeks when I have an active kindergartner to entertain.

Wandering Wizards – 1000+ words
Once again I didn’t keep track. My bad. BUT I am moving forward, and that’s the main thing, right? Aracelia is up to something mysterious and the gang are about to reach the Shrine of Dorian. Then all hell is going to break loose. Can’t wait!

Weekly Prompt – 307 words
I wrote a perfectly forgettable, really stupid story that meandered quite a ways into nowhere. It was so bad I promptly deleted it without so much as second thought.

New Prompt
Use this as your first line:
I was a boring woman, with my red bracelets and my strange bottles.

Happy Writing!

2 comments:

Ann Bennett said...

You'll be busy with a 5 year old. They canceled school here this week which I am so glad. Maybe they will get a grip on this virus. Stay safe and healthy.

C R Ward said...

Thanks Ann! You stay safe and healthy too!