Sunday, January 5, 2020

The Year Behind and the Year Ahead

What’s behind me is not important!



Just kidding. I think what’s behind me does matter, which is why I like to review the year behind before setting goals for the year ahead.

Because this is the start of a new decade (yes, I know technically a decade is any ten year period, but you know what I mean) I thought it would be kind of cool to see what I was up to ten years ago, and I gotta tell you, I feel like I’ve kind of been back sliding.

For one thing, ten years ago I had three blogs going (two of which are now defunct) and I was posting to them several times a week, including serializing a couple of my novels. 2010 was also the year I switched novels 10,000 words and one week into NaNo and still managed to rock it.

While I think I’ve grown a lot as a writer, I think I was getting more actual writing done when I was working outside the home. It added structure to my day. There is a fitting quote out there (which of course I can’t find) about how it’s easier to add just one more thing to your work load when you have a million things to do than to find the motivation to get up in the morning when you have nothing to do. I think it kind of applies to my situation and I think it’s something I need to work on in the year ahead.

But enough of that. Let’s review the goals I set in 2019 and how I did with them.

Publishing:
1. Get Wandering Wizards finished and published - Fail
2. Do an anthology of short stories - Pass
3. Start sending out stories and poems to appropriate markets - Fail

Organizing and Indexing:
1. Set up a searchable database for my poetry; have only one hard copy and one electronic copy - Fail
2. Organize short fiction – keep only one copy and delete extras - made a start
3. Organize photos and delete doubles - Fail

Writing:
1. Write a minimum of 30 minutes a day - Hahahaha Fail
2. Finish Wandering Wizards - Fail
3. Finish Shattered - Fail
4. Make a start on An Elemental Spirit - Pass

Lifestyle:
1. More reading, less mindless surfing/socializing/gaming - getting better
2. Spend time doing things away from the computer - Fail
3. Get back on the exercise band wagon - off and on

Well, it appears I didn’t do so hot on my goals last year. I got my anthology done, although it wasn’t what I had in mind, but I definitely didn’t send any stories out for publication.

I did make a start on trying to organize my story files, but only my story files and I really didn’t get that far with it. I have this fear of deletion which is why I still have a lot of hard copies as well as e-copies.

The writing thing was kind of feast or famine. I did get some work done on Wandering Wizards, but it’s not finished yet. Never gave Shattered a passing thought, but I did get a draft done of An Elemental Spirit.

It looks like 2019 wasn’t a stellar year. One can only hope that 2020 will be better.

As for my goals for the year ahead, I still haven’t come up with any yet, but I’ll post them as soon as I do.

No comments: