Sunday, November 10, 2019

All Aboard the Crazy Train



I sent this quote to my best bud Jamie this week:
You are doing this because you are fantastic and brave and curious. And, yes, you are probably a little crazy. And this is a good thing.
— Chris Baty

As soon as I saw that quote I started hearing Ozzy Osborne’s “Crazy Train” in my head. I’ve always thought of it as my theme song. In fact, I’ve been on that train so often I could probably drive it.

Anyway, I must be crazy because I’m still plugging away at NaNo. As I type this, I’m 6,000 words behind. When this is posted I’ll be behind by 7,667 (when you add on the daily 1667). Hopefully by the end of the day I’ll close the gap at least a little.

I’ve changed the beginning a few times, added a prologue, decided to add journal entries to the beginning of each chapter – which can be as time consuming as an actual chapter. And I’ve been struggling with the words themselves. AND I’ve done a crap ton of research on rogue planets and gas giants before deciding the Illezie have only disguised their planet to look like a gas giant. All that time wasted. *sigh*

Then yesterday I actually parked myself in my office, and after hemming and hawing over the words I’d written during the past week I finally convinced myself that I needed to stop worrying and start writing. No one’s ever going to see this but me, so it really doesn’t matter whether it makes sense or not. All that matters is it gets written. Which is kind of the point of NaNo, isn’t it?

So then I pulled out my trusty Neo and made some actually progress – I always seem to write faster on my Neo, maybe it’s because it’s free of distractions. Of course some of that progress was an info dump that I was going to use in the journal entries, but whatever. Words is words.

Goals for the Week:
Forget the anthology (for now) this week is going to be all about catching up on my NaNo word count. This means I have to write 815 words a day in addition to the required 1667. No mean feat considering I haven’t hit the daily goal yet.

I was going to leave you with Ozzy’s version of Crazy Train, but this one was impossible to resist. LOL


No comments: