Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Routine? Fate Laughs at Your Puny Routine



Well . . . I dodged a bullet, that’s for sure. Just when I thought it was safe to sort of have a routine, the education workers (CUPE) decided to strike. And this would mean Grammie would be back on babysitting duty – just when she was used to not babysitting – in the late morning/early afternoon.

I was already labouring under the lack of writing last week – the daughter was away for another conference. Babysitting last week wasn’t bad – for one thing it was later in the day, and we kind of missed the little rug rat. But the CUPE strike would be back to same old/same old, only with a bit of an overlap with things I have going on during the week now.

But as I said, I dodged that bullet. CUPE and the government came to an agreement and school continues as usual. Which also means, my friends, that I’m going to have to come up with some other excuse for my lack of writing.

I’d like to put it down to my regular pre-NaNo October dry spell, but this dry spell hit long before October. I’ve been suffering from a serious lack of motivation (as you’ve probably noticed).

But . . . it’s still only the beginning of the second week of October and I only have about 20,000 words left to go on Wandering Wizards. If I can write 50,000 words during the month of November while babysitting every week day, then surely I can write 20,000 in just under 4 weeks. Right? Right.

And I haven’t forgotten about the anthology. It’s inchworming along, giving me something to do when I get tired of my wizards. There’s still a chance I’ll have it done before Christmas – a slim chance, but a chance nonetheless.

To paraphrase Nike, I just have to do it.

Prompt of the Week

Surprise! I have a prompt for you this week. I moseyed on over to The Story Shack and generated this:

Word count: 350
Genre: Romance
Character: An expert gardener
Material: An onion
Sentence: "I'm sorry."
Bonus: Your character is shipwrecked

The betting is now open as to whether I’ll actually get a story done for Saturday. :-)

No comments: