Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Walking On Sunshine



Oh, the difference a little sunshine (and a long weekend) can make.

We’ve had enough sun over the last few days – in and amongst the wind, rain, and clouds - that my solar batteries are starting to recharge. And you know what that means – my writing mojo is returning.

Of course it may look nice outside, but it’s still a little too cool for planting my gardens, so I felt no guilt whatsoever staying inside over the long weekend and getting some writing done.

I’m still working on the edits to Wandering Wizards, but I finally feel like I’m making progress. I’ve deleted two chapters worth of NaNo fluff, and added in over 5,000 new words for Jessica and Dominic. And most of that was done over the weekend.

That was the good news. The bad news is that I’ve been making these changes to a paper copy I printed out and I’m still going to have to make these changes to the electronic copy. My hope for this week is to hunker down and get the rest of the edits done by the week so I can spend the weekend making the changes.

I think it’ll be a race against time though. I still babysit for the better part of the afternoons and tonight I have Fight Club (AKA my poetry group meeting). Tomorrow morning I get to go on a trip to a farm with the granddaughter’s pre-school, and Friday the daughter leaves for a conference in Calgary so I have the pleasure of the granddaughter’s company all day.

This is also why I want to get the edits finished by the end of the weekend. The daughter will be away all week so it’ll be full time babysitting until Friday, when she returns. And once I’ve caught up to where I’ve left my intrepid band of adventurers, I can move Wandering Wizards from “Currently Editing” back to “Current Projects” where it belongs.

So let’s hear it for the sunshine that’s pulling me out of my funk!





Prompts of the Week

Prompt One
Go over to your bookshelf, close your eyes, and pick up the first book you touch. Open the book to a random page, read the first full sentence on that page, and use it as the inspiration for a story or scene. Please include the original line at the beginning or end of your response.

Prompt Two
Write a scene that involves a fairy tale trope turned on its head or otherwise deviating from typical expectations. For example: A princess who’s cruel to her kind stepmother; a golden goose that lays explosive eggs, a big, frightening wolf who really just wants a friend.

You don’t need to spend a lot of time on these, they’re just meant for fun. Take 5 minutes to think about it, then write for 10 or 15 minutes. And if it turns out you like what you’ve written, then by all means turn your exercise into an actual story. You can find these prompts, and others like them, at Writer's Digest .

No comments: