Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Tempting Fate



Serves me right for bragging. Last Tuesday I was all about how the sun was shining again and how awesome I was and how I had my writing mojo back. Ask me how I did the rest of the week. Go, on, I dare you.

Not so great. I got about ten more pages edited on Wandering Wizards and then I came to a spot that needed an infusion of Jessica and Dominic and ground to a halt.

It took me all day Saturday to write, and post, my prompt stories.

Yesterday it was warm and sunny, but I had charge of an active pre-schooler all day which is not exactly conducive to getting anything done.

Today it’s back to being cold enough for a coat and rainy enough that if I had rain boots I’d be wearing them. Also, for the next few days I’ll still be looking after the granddaughter when she’s not in pre-school.

*sigh*

The good news is, after Friday I’ll have five babysitting free days in a row. Almost like a vacation, for sure I’ll be able to spend some quality time with my lap top/Neo/notebook.

But let’s not say that out too loud – we wouldn’t want to tempt fate by putting a jinx on it.


Prompts of the Week

Prompt One
While preparing your garden at the beginning of spring, you find the blueprints for your house buried in the earth. When you pull it out and examine it, you find that there is a room in the blueprint that doesn’t exist in your house. Both disturbed and intrigued, you set off to find the missing room. Write what happens next.

Prompt Two
Write a love story about the dish and the spoon from the classic nursery rhyme “Hey Diddle Diddle.” How did they meet and why did they decide to run away together? Will their relationship last?

You don’t need to spend a lot of time on these, they’re just meant for fun. Take 5 minutes to think about it, then write for 10 or 15 minutes. And if it turns out you like what you’ve written, then by all means turn your exercise into an actual story. You can find these prompts, and others like them, at Writer's Digest .

No comments: