Sunday, November 29, 2020

Where There’s A Will There’s A Way



It’s the second last day of NaNo. I’m sitting around the 48,000 word mark as I type this, so there’s no reason I shouldn’t be able to write 2,000 words in two days.

Last week was a definite challenge, I tell you what. Because of my wrenched shoulder, early in the week I couldn’t type on the lap top at my desk. I had to have it sitting on my lap because my arm wouldn’t stretch to reach it. Finally I thought to squish a pillow in the chair beside me and prop my arm up on that, but I could only type for a short while before my hand and arm were aching too much to keep going.

Thank goodness for my Neo! But even typing on the it I had to type for a bit, rest a bit, pop an Advil and repeat as necessary. I finally broke down and went to the walk-in clinic and they pretty much told me what I already knew – I pulled the muscles really bad in my upper arm/shoulder and I needed to rest them as much as possible. They even gave me a sling to keep my arm immobile . . . but did not show me how to tie it and even watching YouTube videos I couldn’t figure it out. But they also gave me some kick-ass anti-inflammatories. :-)

I’ve kind of written myself into a corner and I’m not sure how to get out of it again. Originally I was going to have Brand, my main character, acquire a special sword to rescue this female magic worker that he teams up with. However, he hasn’t met her yet and I have him paired up with a fellow mercenary – they’re like blood brothers. They’ve ticked off the religious fanatics and the sidekick is ripe for tangling with the bad guys, which will require Brand to get the sword to save him. But I still want him to face off the bad guys to save the girl, so I don’t know how I’m going to work that all in.

I do not want to turn this into a series, but I did originally have a couple of short stories using this character and I kind of wanted to incorporate some of the action from them into this book, but other than one of the fight scenes it doesn’t really work – my character has changed too much. *sigh*

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Wordage Report

I had a couple of 1,000 word days, and a couple of 700 word days, but thanks to the extra words I had accumulated earlier I never really fell behind. And yeah, my arm got achy from time to time but I just kept going anyway. I was not going to let a little thing like a wrenched shoulder keep me from my NaNo goal, especially since this year I was keeping up a steady pace.

The story is a real mess. I have so totally departed from my original idea that I don’t know if there’s any getting back to it. Believe it or not, I’m only now getting to the part where he meets his magical partner, so there’s plenty of story left to tell. But there are going to be a lot of kinks to work out first. Really not looking forward to editing this puppy.

Goals From Last Week

1. Edits on book flood stories – didn’t even look at the stories, but I did order myself a coil binder to make my book flood books.
2. Blog posts – despite my injury, I got them all up. And on time too!
3. More words on Firestorm – only 2,000 to go and I’m done!

Goals For This Week

1. Finish NaNo – but continue with the story.
2. Start getting the book flood stories organized.
3. Blog posts should be a given, but I’m putting them as a goal anyway.
4. Finish editing the story I plan to submit this week.


No comments: