Sunday, November 15, 2020

Wait, It’s Sunday Already?



It’s a grey and miserable day out there, which makes me kind of grey and miserable, but there was nothing really to watch on TV this morning so when I found myself nodding off I figured it was time to relocate to my office. And if I hadn’t, it might have been quite some time before I realized I’d forgotten all about today’s post.

Sorry about that.

You can blame both tiredness and the kitchen renovation on that. Tiredness from eating too many unhealthy meals (and too much of them), brought about by not having access to a proper kitchen. I have a stove, and a TV tray with the toaster and coffee maker sitting on it. But I have no sink, no counters, no cupboards, and trying to find anything in the plastic bins in and around the dining room table is like searching for buried treasure.

I think the most annoying thing about the renovation is that I was just settling into a workable routine – editing in the morning, writing in the afternoon and evening – and it’s just not possible now. Everything’s a crowded mess. Even my office has an extra chair in it with a box of stuff on top. Not very inspiring.

Anyway, I know I had this great idea for a post today (instead of just whining about how chaotic my life has become) but if I wrote the idea down somewhere I can’t remember where.

That being said, the stars must be in the right alignment or something for this year’s NaNo, because my progress has been steady. I was actually ahead of the game a bit, but then last week I had to use up some of those precious words to make my daily quota. I was still on track though, and Friday I managed to pull ahead again which is good because yesterday I didn’t quite make my quota again.

So a little bit of the seesawing, but not the extremes of other years.

My main character has a name now, it’s Brand. His horse is named Raven. :-) And remember how I was starting this as a back story to lead into the real story? Well, I’ve done that in spades. Brand has had a lot of adventures in his short life, most of which will end up cut because despite all the detail it’s the results that are important, not how it happened. Even for a fantasy it takes too long to get to where the story actually starts, which is something that will happen in the next day or two.

That’s right, I’m at the halfway point in NaNo and my story is only now just starting. I’ve heard of others who just start writing and hope a story appears to them along the way, and it looks like that’s what I unintentionally did.

It’s not like I didn’t know what my story was going to be, I guess it was just how to get there that eluded me. There’s a lot of bad writing, and a lot of unnecessary writing. But this is NaNo, people. That’s the name of the game.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Wordage Report

Today is the halfway point in NaNo and I am right on track – just over 25,000 words. How awesome is that? Normally this would be the point where I’d tell myself, “Oh, look. You’re halfway there, time to take a break.” But not this year. This year I want to keep going and, be still my heart, finish early.

Goals From Last Week
1. Blood Tie edits – didn’t really happen. And even if they had, I was kidding myself if I thought I was going to have the book ready for a Christmas release. I don’t even have a blurb or a cover yet.
2. Blog posts – again, this one is late, but I got them all done.
3. NaNo – ready to tip over the halfway point. It’s all uphill from here! LOL

Goals For This Week
1. Instead of edits on Blood Ties, maybe I should be gathering up stories for my flash anthology for my book flood.
2. Get all my blog posts done on time.
3. Keep up the good work on Firestorm.

Last week I talked about playlists for writing. Have you ever found a song that just seemed to fit your character perfectly? Well I did. Brand’s theme song is Rune, by Two Steps From Hell.


No comments: