Monday, January 1, 2024

Happy New Year!



How was your holiday?

I have to admit I enjoyed my blogging break immensely. I don’t think I realized before how much time I was spending thinking about blogs, coming up with ideas, researching ideas, and then writing about them. It can be incredibly time consuming – no wonder I didn’t have a lot of time for anything else.

So during the break I did a lot of thinking about what I wanted to accomplish, and how I could accomplish it. And I decided it was time to take a step back from the blog schedule. To be honest, I’m not sure how I ended up on this strict blog schedule in the first place.

Where did the detailed Wordage Report come from? Sometimes it takes forever to come up with an idea to preface the report, which is time consuming, as is researching the idea and creating a post about it.

Ditto for Poetry Wednesdays. Coming up with a new form a week can be very time consuming – they’re getting harder and harder to find, too. And again, then I have to research the form, create the post, and come up with an example that rarely comes easily to me. And the sad part is, the only poetry I wrote last year were forms or poemwork for my poetry group. I wrote nothing for pleasure.

And where did Fiction Fridays come from? I mean, yeah, it’s nice to share what I’m working on once in a while, but every Friday? I’ve got over a hundred flash stories – some good, some not so good – that are the result of having to post something on Fridays, but because of this “blog schedule” I don’t really have time to do anything with them.

When I started this blog, I had a manifesto that read:

I will not be sticking to a schedule, just updating as the spirit moves me.
I will not be sharing the length of time my writing sessions are.
I will be showing progress bars on my current projects.
I will be talking about said projects.
I will be talking honestly about how the writing's going.


That was it. That’s how it all started, and that’s what I’m going back to.

Starting this week there will be no more Wordage Reports, no more Fiction Fridays, and no more Poetry Wednesdays. I’ll post when I have something to say. If I write a poem, I’ll probably share it. If I come up with the idea for a new serial, I may share that as well. And I’ll periodically share how the writing/editing is going.

But no more distracting schedules. Hopefully, without the burden of the can’t do that I have to write a blog post hanging over my head, I’ll finally get my writing back on track.

One can only hope. 😊

Changes



No comments: