Friday, April 7, 2023

The Pond - Part 33



Izolda paced back and forth in her work room. She had tried reasoning with Nikolai, she had even given him a gentle nudge with her magic, but he would not be swayed. He was adamant they were going to stay, no matter what tragedy befell them.

Acres of trees, prime forest waiting to be cut, were found to be rotted on the inside or infested with insects. Farming on the land cleared of the trees became poor. What little would grow was lost to beetles or grubs. People began moving away, hoping for better luck elsewhere.

In desperation, Izolda slipped a potion into Nikolai’s evening tea, but it had no effect on him. That was when she realized the rusalka had some sort of sway over him. An ordinary rusalka did not usually cast spells, but then this was no ordinary rusalka.

Having no other recourse, she once more took the path to the pond. It looked quiet, inviting even. The water was still, sparkling in the sunlight.

“What will it take,” Izolda called out. “What do you want from me to leave us alone?”

At first there was no answer. Everything was quiet. Even the birds stopped their chirping and twittering. Then the water of the pond seemed to shiver, and the rusalka rose until only her feet remained submerged. The form she wore gave Izolda an involuntary shiver.

“A visitor, how nice. I have so few visitors these days.” She pouted as she spoke. “It seems someone has spelled the land around my home to keep people away.”

“To keep you from killing them, you mean,” Izolda said.

“It’s not my fault I’m hard on my toys.”

Izolda’s lips tightened at the comparison of the souls the creature had taken to toys. “What will it take for you to release us from your curse?”

“Release you?” She laughed, a high pitched titter. “When I’m having such fun?”

“How can you make light of all the grief you’ve caused?”

“Me? Me?” the rusalka’s voice rose in outrage. “Who are you to speak to me of causing grief. What of the grief you’ve caused?”

“I—”

“The lies you’ve told, the spells you’ve cast. I know that you were born with power, but that wasn’t enough for you, was it? You could have done great good with such power, but instead you decided to serve only yourself.”

It was harsh, but true enough.

“What of the lives you’ve taken?”

“I cannot change the past,” Izolda said. “I can only move forward.”

The rusalka laughed, a high girlish laugh. “And what do you suppose your beloved would say if he knew the truth of what you are, what you have done. If I went to him, told him all the things you’ve done, do you think he would sacrifice you to save himself?”

“I—”

“If I asked you for Nikolai’s life, to let you and your son live, would you grant it to me?”

“Yes,” Izolda said, without hesitation.

The rusalka pretended to think about it. “No, too easy. He has betrayed me as well, He deserves to suffer, as do you. I will pick you both apart, bit by bit. And when I am done, I will suck the marrow from your bones.”

Izolda said nothing to this.

“Do not think to persuade Nikolai to leave this place. Your magic is strong, but mine is stronger. My magic has him tethered to this place.”

Izolda thought that might be the case.

“Remember, there is no where you can run, no where you can hide. I will find you, and in the end, I will have everything.”

Izolda turned, and left. She had nothing more to say.

No comments: