Wednesday, May 4, 2022

The End of PAD



And here we are, April is over, which means the PAD Challenge is over. Despite my lack of enthusiasm for the prompts, it was kinda fun. And I ended up with 29 poems out of the deal and some of them aren’t half bad. Yes, I know April has 30 days, but there was one I just couldn’t come up with anything for. Yet.

At the very least, the challenge got me writing poetry again, which is a good thing because 2022 has been a bit of a wasteland for me as far as creativity goes. And I had just enough fun that I’m seriously considering making Wednesdays a poetry day. There are still a lot of forms out there I haven’t explored, and if I can’t manage a new one I’m sure I can find an old one to post. So we’ll have to wait and see what next Wednesday brings.

In any case, here are my final offerings from the challenge:


25. Write a response poem

this is a response to the kerfuffle at my poetry group meeting last Wednesday

There was a gathering of poets
in the church’s basement hall
and though we didn’t know it
it would end in a ne’er brawl.

A poem of old was read aloud
a question soon was asked,
was it once taped before a crowd?
The gauntlet down was cast

It seemed there was a question
of when there’s rights to shoot
and share a public session –
this was the great dispute.

A slippery slope this freedom
of the press ‘tis true
but what about my freedom
to stay out of public view?

There was no group agreement
to who was right or wrong
two members were quite vehement,
their argument wasn’t long.

Myself, I comprehended
both sides of the dispute
but what’s done is done and ended,
so the point was rather moot


27. Write a remix poem

For today's prompt, write a remix poem. Take one of your poems (preferably from this month) and remix it. Make free verse a traditional form or vice versa.

Remix of day #13 – Write a How to Blank poem

How to Make Me Lose Interest in a Challenge (which was written in free verse)

The challenge is presented
the point of PAD this is
a prompt each day invented
by a man who’s in the biz

Some are kind of boring
others kind of lame
some will set me snoring
and others look the same.

My enthusiasm’s shaky
I often fall behind
the words are often flakey
for this challenge so maligned.


28. Write a sight poem

Sea and sky will join as one,
the fog rolls in to veil the sun;
the silent shroud is closing in,
I hasten now, my steps begin.

The fog is such a joy to me
there’s magic everywhere I see,
a softness coating tree and grass
swirling everywhere I pass.

I take a step and disappear
with just my thoughts remaining clear.
Even when I lose my way
I love to see a foggy day.


30. Write a moving poem

Boxes packed, and neatly stacked
moving day has come
one last look in cupboard and nook –
to be sure that we’re all done.
One last glance, one last chance
before we turn to go
memories made, soon will fade
and join the afterglow.

No comments: