Friday, August 6, 2021

Waltz Wave



It’s the first Friday of the month, and you know what that means . . . Poetry!

I’ve been in a poetical frame of mind lately, and despite having a four inch wide, three ring binder full of poems I’ve written in the past, I decided to go for something new. So I looked in my files for a form I attempted but never finished, and picked one at random. And while I was doing the research for that form, I stumbled across this one. ;-)

The Waltz Wave got its name in honour of Leo Waltz, web manager of Sol Magazine, which is a great resource for discovering new poetry forms.

This poem is written in a single stanza. It has 19 lines with an intriguing syllable pattern that gives it a total of 38 syllables. Not a lot of syllables for a 19 line poem, is it?

Syllable Count: 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 1

The increase/decrease of the lines give this poem its wave effect. And because waves tend to be soothing, your subject matter should be as well. Your poem should also have a title.

Note: It’s okay to split a word with more than one syllable between lines to fit the pattern if you need to.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Assignation

soft
moonlight
glows
upon
the water
shushing
back
and forth
along the
darkened shoreline
timeless and
patient
back
and forth
waiting for
the two
to
meet in
love

No comments: