Sunday, February 28, 2021

Insert Witty Post Title Here



I’m pretty late with this post today. I know you know this already, but I felt obligated to point this out.

I’m not sure if my excuse reason is a good one or not, I’ll let you be the judge of that, but if you need to blame someone you can blame Giant Tiger.

Like a lot of people during the pandemic lock downs, I’ve been doing a lot of shopping online. I don’t know about you, but I find online shopping can be a bit of a crap shoot.

It’s not a problem at places like Staples (for office supplies), Old Navy (for clothes), or Walmart (for a whole lot of things), but it’s a little chancy to stray from the straight and narrow, venturing into the unknown.

For example: a few years ago I saw an advertisement on Facebook for a website selling quilts with dragonflies on them. I love dragons and dragonflies. I went to the site, debated for ages, finally settled on the $50 quilt I liked best, and ordered it. I never got it.

Then there are the clothes. This is where you are really taking a chance, not so much with receiving your order, but the sizing. Some clothes fit fine, but in my experience most fit too small. I’ve only had one tee-shirt fit way too big, but I was able to fix it. And you really need to stay on top of what they’re made out of.

And pictures can be deceiving. I found one website that had some really cool tee-shirts – both long and short sleeved. The ones I ordered fit, which was nice, but two of them were made out of a nylon/polyester which I really didn’t care for. One of them I made into a pillow for my office, and the other is still sitting folded up on my dresser.

Anyway, back to my excuse reason for this post being late.

Our lock-down has finally been lifted, which means we can cautiously shop in-store again. I had to go out yesterday for kitty litter, and it was such a nice day I decided to indulge in a little shopping therapy, namely Giant Tiger because I like their clothes and it’s been a long time since I’ve been there.

Now here’s the thing. I told myself if I spent less than $50 I could treat myself to this velvet patchwork coat I saw advertised on Facebook. Well, I saw one pair of pants I really liked, but they didn’t have my size. So for the first time I can remember, I came away from Giant Tiger with nothing. Velvet coat, here I come!

I waited until after supper, then went online and first ordered my pants from Giant Tiger because I really, really liked them, and then I went to order my coat. There was only one teeny, tiny little problem. I did not bookmark the site where the coat was and I couldn’t remember the name of it. And wouldn’t you know it, I filled out that stupid survey FB had up earlier in the week where I told it I hated all the advertisements in my newsfeed, so when I went on FB there were no ads!

Off to the side in the right hand column there were two ads, and that was it. So I’m being a little vocal in my displeasure and I try and do a Google search for my coat and all I can find is a picture of it someone pinned, but not a source for the picture. I tried searching on FB, and when I went back to my newsfeed my ads were back. So then I spent the next three hours scrolling down my feed looking for that ad.

I did eventually find the right site, ordered my coat, and all is right with the world. Except for the fact that by the time I was done it was time for bed.

And the ads are back in my newsfeed.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Wordage Report

New Words:

Driving Into Forever (rewrite) – 3,459
Blog Posts – 750+0+565+1,479=2,794
Total = 6,253

I found it interesting that despite the fact I skipped Monday’s post, I was actually one word higher on the blog posts last week. Probably had something to do with the length of my Fiction Friday excerpt.

Editing:

The TraxTime program tells me I spent 8 hours and 43 minutes editing Blood Ties last week – about three hours more than the week before.

What I’m Reading:

I’ve managed to keep to a moderate pace reading last week, Irish Rebel, and Cordina’s Crown Jewel, by Nora Roberts. Can it be I’m finding my balance?

As for e-books, I’m just about finished Snared by Saber, book one of Alien Shenanigans by Shelley Munro and should be starting Janaya this week. Snared by Saber confused me a little at first because Saber was the main character in My Scarlet Woman, what’s he doing in space? But it’s explained fairly early on and makes perfect sense.

Goals

Looks like I met all my goals last week, unless you count missing Monday’s post a failure. Honestly, I just didn’t have anything to say.

I did more editing on Blood Ties than I thought I did, and I feel like I made actual progress. Of course the first half was better written (meaning less editing) than the second half, and I’m not to the halfway point yet.

Who’s bright idea was it to rewrite Driving Into Forever instead of just starting over from scratch. Oh, right. That would be me. This is one of those cases where it’s dangerous to fall in love with your own writing. I still think the well done parts out number the not well done parts, but sometimes it’s still a bit of a struggle. I can only hope it gets easier.

This Week’s Goals

1. Keep up the good work editing
2. Keep working on Driving Into Forever
3. Keep limiting my reading time.

Think I can manage three weeks in a row? Guess we’ll see.

No comments: