Friday, January 8, 2021

And So It Begins . . .

The new year has barely started and I’m already not meeting my own expectations. Yes, I know it’s still early yet, and I’m having a bit of trouble settling into a routine. It might help if I spent more time in my office and less time on the couch (with my lap top, mind you).

But the idea was to do the three minute free write every morning and if I didn’t generate something that inspired me to turn it into flash piece, then I was going to use the best of them as my fiction Friday offerings. Problem is, I only free wrote once this past week.

So once again I’m giving you a snippet from Knightsong. This one will give you a little more insight into the life of Elijah’s neighbor. She’s just returned home after having visited Eli to tell him what happened when she and her husband visited the city.



Shaelynn hurried up the steps to her house. She’d only meant to stay a minute, hopefully Parker was still sleeping.

“Where have you been?” Parker barked, the minute she had the door open. His wheelchair was parked in the middle of the living room.

“I just stepped out for a minute—”

“You were at that fag’s house, weren’t you?” Parker wheeled himself closer. “What if I’d needed you? You’re such a selfish bitch, always thinking of yourself.”

“I’m sorry Parker, I thought you were sleeping.”

“I’m sorry Parker,” he mimicked. “A fat lot of good sorry would have done me if I’d taken a seizure or fallen out of bed.”

Her eyes widened in alarm. “A seizure! Parker, the doctor never said anything about seizures to me. Are you all right?”

“Of course I’m all right! No thanks to you. And the doctor never said anything because I told him not to. I didn’t want to worry you. Not that you worry about me.”

“That’s not true Parker, I do worry about you.”

Parker refused to be mollified. “For all you care I could have just died while you were gone, just like I almost died in that car accident.”

Shaelynn’s face paled. “Parker!”

He realized he’d gone too far and made an effort to calm himself down. “I’m sorry, but I woke up and you were gone. You have no idea how helpless this chair makes me feel. I can’t even make a damned cup of coffee myself.”

“I’m sorry too.” She went over and knelt beside the chair. “I should have at least left you a note.”

“I was afraid you’d left me for good.”

“I promised I would never leave you,” she reminded him. “Now, did you say you wanted a cup of coffee?”

“I don’t want to be any trouble.”

“It’s no trouble,” she said, climbing to her feet again. “In fact, I just might join you.”

She hurried into the kitchen to start the coffee maker. Behind her, Parker smiled in satisfaction.

No comments: