Sunday, November 1, 2020

Happy Hallow NaNo!



It’s Halloween as I type this, with a full, blue moon. But you’ll be reading this on the first day of NaNo while I’ll (hopefully) be typing my little heart out.

Last week I forgot to mention another reason I shouldn’t be doing NaNo this year – we’re renovating our kitchen, and when does the work start? November 11. And let me tell you, it’s not like you see on HGTV, it’s a lot of work.

And I actually lie when I say the work starts on November 11, that’s just the date the contractor is coming in to strip away the old cupboards and counters. The work has already started. I’ve been systematically emptying the cupboards and storing stuff I want to save in plastic bins.

Once that’s finished we’ll be stripping as much of the wall paper as possible and once the cupboards are gone the walls need to be prepped and painted, which is up to us to do. And if the contractor decides the floors need to be done before the new cupboards go in, we have to do that too (which isn’t a bad thing because it’ll force the hubby to re-do the rest of the floors which he’s been promising to do for over a year).

So, it’s going to be a little chaotic around here for the month, and for a good part of it I won’t be able to use the kitchen at all. That’s okay, I have a tea station in my office so as long as I have access to my tea and international coffees I’ll be good to go. :-D

When I haven’t been working on the cupboards I’ve been re-reading the other two books in the Moonstone Chronicles to get me in the mind set of editing, and prepping for NaNo. I discovered a couple of things I’d forgotten about Jessica and her travels in the magickal realm which I’ll need to keep in mind for Blood Ties, so it’s time well spent.

My NaNo novel for 2020 has the working title of Firestorm. It’s a good old fashioned swords and sorcery story with no sex but lots of action. It follows the life of a swordsman and shows why and how he became what he is, how he met his magickal partner, and what he had to go through when he has to rescue said partner from the dreaded Ice Lords.

This story idea may actually predate the Jessica stories, which I came up with when I was still in high school. At that time I was reading the Sword and Sorceress series of anthologies, edited by the late, great Marion Zimmer Bradley. I had dreams of writing something worthy of her, hence the fantasy slant to my early writings.

Anyway, I have a couple of versions of a short story I wrote for this character, one centering on him rescuing his partner (which is a little more involved), and one with his partner rescuing him (a little more straight forward). Neither of these will be included, instead I’m sticking to the back story of where they came from and how they became partners in the first place.

The best part about this book is it’s a stand alone. I don’t have to worry about sequels.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Wordage Report

Seriously? There were no words. Well, that’s not true. I did manage a post for Wednesday which was a nice break from cleaning out cupboards. Friday’s post doesn’t really count because it was just an excerpt from something I’d already written.

Goals For This Week

1. Work on edits for Blood Ties
2. Get all my blog posts (including Monday on my other blog) done
3. NaNo!

So how about you? Do you NaNo?

No comments: