Sunday, April 12, 2020

Keep On Keeping On

I almost skipped this post today. Not because I haven’t been getting any writing done, but because other than in my writing I’m finding I don’t have a lot to say these days. The weather has been cold and grey more often than not, which puts me in a cold and grey mood.

I think one of the worst parts about this age of pandemic social isolation is the uncertainty. We have no idea how long this is going to last. The government sets a time-line and constantly changes it. The spring events were the first to go, then the summer events were cancelled, now the fall events are starting to drop like flies. The question on everyone’s mind is, how much longer?

And humans, even chronically introverted ones like me, are social animals. You have to wonder about the psychological ramifications of this prolonged social isolation. Personally I’m finding the longer I’m holed up in my house, the more I want to stay that way. I’m even starting to resent having to go out to grocery shop – but I don’t trust someone else to pick out my produce, so . . .

It’s a lot to think about, isn’t it? And trying not to think about it doesn’t help either because every time you turn around it’s staring you in the face. I guess we just have to keep on keeping on, and hope for the best.

Like I said, I did get some writing done last week. No prompt story, but I got a few words done on Wandering Wizards and a couple of medium length poems. And I’ve been keeping up my journals, which is saying something.

Since there’s no story this week, I thought I’d share an excerpt of Wandering Wizards. My heroes escaped the clutches of the dark elves, who’d taken over the Wildwoods Elven Realm, and are on their way to meet Jessica’s grandmother, the elven Lady Aracelia. Now that they are out of immediate danger, it’s given Ellen some time to think.



“Well, there it is,” Kaelan said, relief evident in his voice. Even he’d been wondering if they were ever going to reach the Sirene Sea.

The water stretched from one edge of the horizon to the other, with the shadow of hills or low mountains on the other side. The island with the Shrine of Dorian on it was a mere speck on the water.

“We might as well camp here tonight,” Dominic said, dismounting. “The sun’s too close to setting – there’s no point stumbling around in the dark.”

Jessica sat on her steed a moment longer than everyone else, staring at the sea from her higher vantage point. Why was Aracelia so set on them going there? She was still pondering this when they were sitting around the campfire later.

“This Shrine of Dorian,” she asked. “What do you know about it?” The question was directed at Kaelan, Sebastian, and Dominic.

Dominic shrugged. “For my part, I just know it’s a shrine on the Sirene Sea. The Cult of Dorian built it a few hundred years ago and then pretty much died out.”

“Really?” Howard asked. “Why?”

“Most likely because the Sirene Sea is poisonous.”

“Poisonous?” Jessica, Ellen, and Howard chorused.

“Now he tells us,” Howard muttered.

“Didn’t we mention that?” Sebastian said. “It’s why there are no settlements anywhere near it.”

“Then why was Aracelia so insistent we go there?” Jessica asked, voice edging from irritable to angry. The men looked at each other, somewhat at a loss.

“The Well!” Kaelan said suddenly.

All eyes focused on him. “There is rumored to be a Well within the shrine.”

“But if the sea is poisonous, wouldn’t the well—oh, not that kind of well,” Ellen said.

“A Well,” Jessica mused.

“Yes, but surely there are Wells closer,” Howard pointed out. “And Jessica’s not supposed to use her power so it’s not like she needs to replenish it.”

Kaelan spread his hands wide. “I cannot say what was in the Lady Aracelia’s mind.”

“I have another question,” Jessica said. “If the shrine is on an island in a poisonous sea, how are we supposed to get to it?”

“And the faithful will find the way,” Sebastian intoned. He grinned at the look on the faces that turned towards him. “As I understand my religious instruction, the Followers of Dorian built a causeway.”

“Huh. I guess that’s better than trying to build a raft or something,” Jessica said.

“So,” Ellen said after the conversation died down again. “I get that we’ve been travelling more west than south, but once we’ve been to the shrine how much longer is it going to take us to get to Jessica’s family in the south?” She looked around at her companions. “It’s not that I haven’t been enjoying the adventure and all, but my parents are probably already freaking out.”

Kaelan and Sebastian looked at Dominic who looked anywhere but towards Ellen.

“Guys?”

Dominic scraped a hand through his hair and shot a quick glance at Jessica who quirked an eyebrow at him in return. “From what Jessica’s told me of your world things move at a much faster pace than they do here.” When the expression on her face began to slide towards alarm he quickly added, “But with the aid of the elvensteeds it will shave weeks off the journey.”

“Weeks?” she repeated weakly.

“It should take no more than two, maybe three months in all,” Kaelan assured her.

“Months? Are you freaking kidding me?” Ellen jumped to her feet, fists clenched and face pale. “I’ve already been away too long. If I’m gone for months my family is going to have the Mounties out looking for me!”

Mounties? Kaelan mouthed to Dominic? Dominic shrugged.

“It’ll be okay, Ell,” Jessica told her, not really believing it as she said it. But what else was a good friend to do but lie?

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Wordage Report

Wandering Wizards – 1,000 words (approximately)
I didn’t do as well last week as I did the week before, but any week I have new words to show is a good one as far as I’m concerned.

Weekly Prompt – 0 words
I made a feeble attempt at a story, but only two paragraphs worth. And I can’t see finishing it any time in the near future so time for a new prompt.

New Prompt
Use this as your first line:
People call her Camilla - not that that's her name.

Happy Writing!

No comments: