Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Nonet Verse Form



The origin of the Nonet appears to be shrouded in mystery. It seems to be a fairly new form, but no one seems to know who created it. The name Nonet is shared with the term for a group of nine musicians, so it’s suspected that its origins have something to do with music.

It is a poem of nine lines and each line has a strict, descending syllable count. The first line contains nine syllables, the second line contains eight, the third line contains seven, and so on to the last line, that contains one syllable.

It can be written about anything you wish, and it doesn’t rhyme.

The schematic is as follows:

xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxx
xxxx
xxx
xx
x

I gotta admit. This was kind of a fun form to work with. And it allowed me to vent about something that’s really been frustrating me lately. ;-)


Phone

“You must upgrade your phone,” they told me
by which they meant “buy a new one”
so I did as I was told
and have had nothing but
trouble ever since
I hate this phone
and want my
old one
back


No comments: