Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Jay's Way Poetry Form



You know, I really wish I could uncover more about Chazz Combs. So far I’ve found a Chazz Combs on Instagram who’s retired from the USAF and enjoys family, cars, guns, knives, and watches, a link to the Poets Collective (where I first stumbled across his forms), and a link back to my own blog for last week’s poetry post, presumably because I used his name in the title of my post.

Jay’s Way is the final form I’ve found that was invented by the elusive Mr. Combs. This is a twelve line verse, once again with a really funky syllable count and a more or less normal rhyme scheme.

The syllable count is: 3-7-11-9-5-3-3-5-9-11-7-3
The rhyme scheme is: a-b-b-c-c-d-d-e-e-f-f-a
And here’s the schematic:
xxa
xxxxxxb
xxxxxxxxxxb
xxxxxxxxc
xxxxc
xxd
xxd
xxxxe
xxxxxxxxe
xxxxxxxxxxf
xxxxxxf
xxa

Other than the syllable count and rhyme scheme, there wasn’t any other information available about this form. I’m assuming that it’s supposed to be centered, like the others, so that’s what I’m going to do in my example.


Circle

an old soul
realizing it was time
to let go of its tether to earthly clime
began the separation of mass
carefully, like glass,
like a web,
life at ebb,
each gossamer strand
removed as though by a sleight of hand
into the eternity beckoning,
an afterlife reckoning
circle whole

No comments: