Monday, August 1, 2022

Ready or Not

I’m baaaaccck.

As much as I would have liked to take the rest of the summer off as well, I figured if I did that I might not ever get back to blogging. So ready or not, here I am.

You might have noticed I’m posting this on Monday rather than my typical Sunday, but that’s because Sundays are reserved for my Wordage Report, and I really don’t have many words to show for my absence. In fact, other than a single poem (approximately 13 lines) I didn’t really write any words at all (other than my daily journal, which doesn’t count). I did do some editing, but all in one creative burst that lasted a single day.

So what have I been doing?

I spent more time with my granddaughter, but not every day and not every week. Her parents’ work shifts overlap, and her mother’s been taking Fridays off, so I still have plenty of free time. I did some reading, but not the binge reading I was doing before, and not Nora Roberts. I did a lot of craftwork – quilting, embroidery, and sewing. I cleaned up my office (again) and in the process broke my CD player (which has since been replaced with a boom box – gotta have my tunes).

I did some research for my new on-line serial, which I’m trying to plot out a bit before I re-start it. It is not, as I’d planned, going to be a more detailed version of a short story (long flash story?) I wrote a few years back. One of the characters, who I thought was just going to be a minor one, pushed her way to the forefront and said, “Hey, this is my story!” So I thought about it for a bit and decided yes, it really was.

And I’ve spent a great deal of time dealing with computer issues. As you may recall, I went on this hiatus in the first place because of a computer scam. Not only did the bank require us to close our current accounts and open new ones (and wasn’t that fun, not!) I had to take my computer in to have it checked out and get a certificate stating it was clean.

There not being a lot of choices in our small town, and time being of the essence, I took it to Staples. They told me the process would take a couple of days, at which point I became so frustrated that I put up my notifications and took my blogging break.

They checked it for viruses, and then they reformatted it just to be sure it was safe. And that’s where my frustration really began. Remember how I was proud I didn’t have my Lenovo synced with my other devices? Well I know they at least synced my bookmarks because the first time I opened a browser I couldn’t help but notice I had all the bookmarks from the Apache on there was well. But wait, that was just the tip of the iceberg.

My settings were all wrong on the Lenovo. My paid for version of Office 2019 had been replaced with some Microsoft wannabe program that looks similar, but is nothing like my old one. My paid for version of McAfee was replaced with a trial version (that’s just run out). To say I was not a happy camper would be an understatement.

I’ve got most of my settings where I want them, and I managed to figure out how to get my MS Office back – it came pre-loaded so I had to go through Lenovo for it – and while I can get into my McAfee account, I can’t seem to get it to download again. I might have to download a free virus protection until I figure this out.

But . . . for all intents and purposes, I’m back now.


No comments: