Sunday, January 16, 2022

It’s Getting There



Fall down seven times, get up eight. — Japanese Proverb

The best view comes after the hardest climb. — Author Unknown

I didn’t come this far to only come this far. — Author Unknown

Well. As weeks go, I’ve had better.

The only words that got written (besides a couple of long emails and the start of a letter to my sister) were the ones for the daily three-minute word exercises. That’s it.

I skipped Monday’s post on the other blog, and Friday’s post was pretty much just seven of the exercises married up into the start of a story. And that was the only editing I did too – Friday’s story. Didn’t get much reading done, and I finished the afghan I was crocheting on Monday and haven’t started a new project yet.

So what have I been doing?

Well, I’ll tell you. It was a bleak and dismal week (mostly) weather-wise, which was singularly unmotivating to do anything, and what little energy I had was laser focused on getting my office organized.



As you can see, there wasn’t much space to work at my desk, was there? Under my hat is my four tier in-box, which is sitting on top of the mesh cart I was so enamored of.

That picture was taken at the beginning of the week. Now my desk looks more or less like this, so at least I can get at the lap top:



The cart area is looking much better too:



Unfortunately, the bookcase still needs some work:



Most of my time and energy was spent revamping my filing system. See that plastic file holder mid-way up on the right side? I have four of them, plus the two-drawer filing cabinet, a file drawer in my desk, and the file drawer in the mesh cart. The only one that wasn’t full of files was the one in the cart.

It took a lot of arranging, sorting, re-arranging, and more sorting, but I think I’ve finally got my filing system straightened out. It might need a little tweeking going forward, but for the most part I’m pretty happy with it.

Now all that’s left is the bookcase, and dealing with the stuff in my reading area:



The grey bin is full of blank notebooks, some of which have only a few pages left in them, others that have never been touched. I’m still not sure what I’m going to do with them. And the bin under the stuff that’s under my hat is full of books that need to be shelved . . . somewhere.

I think I need a bigger office. :-D

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Wordage Report

As I said above, the only new words I wrote were on the three-minute word prompts, so there’s not all that much to report here.

NEW WORDS:
Blog Posts – 790+958=1748
Three minute words = 92+112+113+121=438
Total words: 1748 words

I’m not adding the three minute words to the total because they were part of Friday’s fiction post.

EDITING:
*sigh*

The only editing I did was the story for Friday’s post, and it was kind of a slap/dash job at that.

WHAT I’M READING:
On my downtime I confess I mostly played mindless games, but I started reading an anthology I was given for Christmas, Stop the World, Snapshots From A Pandemic, edited by Lise McClendon. It’s a wonderful idea for an anthology, offering a slice of what life has been like during the pandemic from a wide variety of points of view.

On the Kindle I finished Touch A Dark Wolf, by Jennifer St. Giles. I thought the ending was a little abrupt, but I guess that’s what drives you to buy the next in the series, to find out what happened when the dust settled. After that I read Caged Wolf (The Tarot Witches, #1), by S.M. Reine. It was a little grittier than the books I’ve been reading lately, but the story called for gritty. It was the first in a series and as soon as I get my new Kindle I’ll be looking for the next one.

Yes, that’s right. It’s time to retire my beloved George. We’ve had a good run but he’s been getting crankier and crankier, and he has a hissy fit when I try to update him and it takes him days to get over it. So when I was on Amazon yesterday ordering a birthday gift for my granddaughter, I ordered a gift for me too – a Kindle Paperwhite. It should be here next weekend.

LAST WEEK’S GOALS
Last week’s goals were a bust, save for my daily three-minute words.

THIS WEEK’S GOALS
1. Continue with the three minute word, and continue the cave story.
2. My mother-in-law has a birthday coming up so I’ll be starting a new afghan.
3. Start the edits/rewrites on Elemental Spirit.
4. Look into online courses.
5. Write.

Happy writing.

No comments: