Friday, October 9, 2020

Lost Girls



Here’s the thing. I’m having a bad week, so there’s no prompt story.

However, I keep getting these single lines, sometimes two or three lines, popping into my head out of nowhere and then yesterday I got had the first verse of a poem just suddenly appear in my head.

Now the unusual thing about this is, I haven’t really been writing poetry this year. I’ve met up with my poetry group I think three times so far, but other than spiffing up a previously written poem, I’ve had nothing new to contribute.

So having this partial poem appear and having no prompt story, I figured why not finish the poem and post it here? And furthermore, I’m thinking maybe I’ll even post a poem once every month or so, just for a change of pace.

It will give me a break from the prompt stories (which can get rather irksome), and it’ll get me writing a poem once in awhile.

So . . . here you go. My first bona fide poem of 2020. I’m not sure that it’s done yet, but it’s done enough to share.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Lost Girls

I remember those girls
peas in a pod
full of dreams
full of hope
they were going to be
best friends forever
but somehow I lost them
paths diverged
out of step
out of time
gone

I look for them everywhere
in the mall
in the park
in the mirror
but they’ve left
without looking back
leaving a trail
of broken dreams
broken promises
broken lives
behind

No comments: