Sunday, February 16, 2020

Thinking Is Not Writing



When I started this post yesterday, I started getting all grumbly with myself because despite all my good intentions I was going to have another week with a zero word count. It’s not that I didn’t want to write, I just kept getting derailed or distracted and one of the many pitfalls to having too much time on your hands is there’s always “later” to do things. So I didn’t get any writing done although I did think about it a lot, but as you know, thinking isn’t writing.

I wasn’t even spending all that writing time reading, like I was doing at the beginning of the year. I’m really enjoying the books I’m reading right now, both the tree book and the e-book, but I’m taking the time to savour them. Sipping the stories instead of gulping them down, as it were.

It was early enough in the day that I figured it was time for a reading break, but then I thought why not write instead? I had no problem taking writing time for reading, it only follows that I could take some reading time for writing if my lack of progress was bothering me.

Which is exactly what I did, and I wrote close to a thousand words. So take that procrastinating and distractions!

However, I’m not particularly proud of the words I wrote last night. I’m having to do a transition scene in Wandering Wizards and I tend to flail around a bit with them. Once I get my group to the shrine I can get the action going again, but the journey from one disaster to the next is kind of dragging. Of course that’ll be fixed in the edits, but right now it’s kind of annoying.

But… I also had a good idea for a bit of fore-shadowing, so I wrote a brief scene for that. It’ll need to be expanded, but it killed two birds with one stone: first, the foreshadowing, and second, it touched base with the wizards down south who really don’t have much to do other than wait around until they’re needed. Hmm. Maybe they need to be a little more pro-active as well.

As well as continuing to work on Wandering Wizards (too bad I can’t be as single minded about that as I can about reading) I also have a poetry reading coming up on Thursday evening. Seeing as February is so dark and dismal I figure I’ll see if I can come up with a selection of light hearted poems. I tend to write three kinds of poetry – humorous poems, depressing poems, and poems written to forms. It’ll be interesting to see if I can come up with enough humorous poems to fit the bill.

* ~ * ~ * ~ *

Wordage Report

Wandering Wizards – 892 words added

Weekly Prompt – 327 words
It turned into a weird little dystopian, post-apocalyptic story that didn’t really go anywhere and I had no great urge to turn it into something.

Total words - 1219
Not great, but better than I've been doing lately, right?

Prompt

Use this as your first line:
Cruelty is a sleeping boy but art was a bleeding man.

Happy Writing!

No comments: